Workshop 40514 – Microsoft Cloud Workshop: Data Platform Upgrade and Migration
About this workshop
Build a PoC and conduct a site analysis for a customer to compare cost, performance, and effort required to migrate from Oracle to SQL Server taking advantage of new SQL Server features to improve performance and resiliency.
This workshop is intended for Cloud Architects and IT professionals who have architectural expertise of infrastructure and solutions design in cloud technologies and want to learn more about Azure and Azure services as described in the About this Workshop and At Workshop Completion areas. Those attending this workshop should also be experienced in other non-Microsoft cloud technologies, meet the course prerequisites, and want to cross-train on Azure.
At workshop completion
Students will be better able to migrate from Oracle to SQL Server using SQL Server Migration Assistant and new SQL Server features. In addition,
- Migrate between different SQL Server editions using Data Migration Assistant
- Use advanced SQL Server features, such as JSON data store, table compression, TDE, and clustered ColumnStore indexing
- Analyze and improve database performance
- Implement high availability using Stretch Database and AlwaysOn Availability Groups
Module 1: Whiteboard Design Session – Data Platform Upgrade and Migration
- Review the customer case study
- Design a proof of concept solution
- Present the solution
Module 2: Hands-On Lab – Data Platform Upgrade and Migration
- Deploy SQL Server instances
- Perform an assessment for a move to Azure SQL DB
- Upgrade the SQL Server 2008 database to SQL Server 2017
- Post Upgrade Enhancement
- Setup Oracle 11g Express Edition
- Migrate the application
Workshop content presumes 300-level of architectural expertise of infrastructure and solutions design. We suggest students minimally take this prerequisite course prior to attending this workshop.
Other courses that provide deeper prerequisite skills include